We travel a lot both as a family, and by myself. It has been like this for as long as I can remember. Traveling can be stressful, add a baby into the equation and the stress levels go off the charts. I’ve discovered some amazing and easy traveling tips and tricks that make traveling with a baby an enjoyable breeze! I hope this helps some of you moms and dads out there. Please note that sometimes a baby is just not in the mood and may cry on a flight regardless of what you do. These are the things that have worked for me so far and they are based on my own experience and opinion. If you have any additional tips comment below!
*If you’re traveling for an extended period of time it is still important to travel light. You’ll be able to keep track of everything, stay organized and have free hands to take care of your little one. I’ve recently become addicted to the 1 suitcase and 1 carry on rule.
* Reusable plastic bags are your friend! I use them to pack away Riley’s favorite toys. I sterilize her bowls and teething toys before packing them in the bags. I also put all of the toiletries in them, in case of spills.
* I always back a couple of bed time stories, to ensure that I’m keeping up with our routine. I find that babies love routine, so if I keep it going while i’m traveling (to an extent) she is happy.
*Buy your diapers and wipes when you get there! You’ll save so much space in your suitcase. I have mine delivered to my destination from http://www.honest.com. It really makes everything so much easier.
*Pack double duty outfits. Leggings that go with multiple tops and vice versa. You can always hand wash a couple of items in the sink if need be. Trust me! The lighter you pack the happier you’ll be. I always use the same outfit for Riley going both ways on the plane (make sure it’s comfy one and don’t forget the socks! germs are rampant on planes)
*Bring your own crib sheets and baby towel! ( I learned this from a friend the last time I traveled- thanks Kate!) You can never be sure of what the hotel is washing their sheets in so for baby, its safe to wash and bring your own crib sheet.
* Pack a play blanket that you can lay on the hotel room floor so your baby can play on the floor and feel at home.
* I normally make Riley’s baby food at home but when we travel, Plum Organics makes great baby food. http://www.plumorganics.com. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the last time I traveled I packed a few avocados and they traveled great! Riley LOVES avocados, and they don’t need to be steamed so it’s a perfect option for us.
*Check you entire stroller and carry or wear your baby in a carrier. I find that checking my entire stroller makes going through security a million times less stressful. they also let you wear your carrier through the scanner so that you don’t need to take your baby out of it. You’ll be able to board a lot easier too, and won’t have to stop to gate check anything!
While on the Plane
*Pack your carry on/ baby bag as you normally would. We moms tend to get so worked up when we travel. Odds are you won’t need anything more than you normally do. STRESS FREE LIGHTWEIGHT TRAVEL!
In my baby bag: 3-5 diapers and small pack of wipes
1 Serving of solids
Kleynimals teething keys (see teething post)
Small pouch containing : teething tablets, nail clip, pacifier, healing balm, infant tylenol, nose sucker/bulb, pacifier wipes, HAND SANITIZER.
* Bring 1 toy! Lately Riley has been loving the “Baby First” APP on my iPhone(works like a charm).
*Take a red eye if you can! (Scheduling a flight during your little ones normal bedtime hour means they will most likely sleep through the flight)
* Feed during take off and landing! Whether you’re a BF mom or a formula mom, it is imperative that you feed your baby during take off and landing. This ensures that their little ears don’t get plugged with the pressure change. if they’re not hungry try a pacifier for a couple of mins. This is by far the most important part of the STRESS FREE TRAVEL.
These photos are from the last time we traveled. We were away for 5 or 6 days and I managed to get all of Riley’s things as well as mine into a medium sized suitcase. We went to two completely different cities as well (Houston and Salt Lake City). I hope that these tips help!
Have a great weekend. ❤